A lot of the videos and bands that I feature in this blog will NOT be electronica/dance based. However, this particular act is an exception. It is also an exception for another huge reason: I am ashamed to admit it, but I didn't know anything about this act until 24 hours ago. Their name is Chromeo, and they're a duo from Montreal.
I first heard of Chromeo when reading some history of Hall & Oates (previous blog post). And then later in the day, one of my Berklee classmates mentioned the duo again in a discussion about grooves in music. I was stunned that these guys are from Canada (which admittedly has a smaller music scene) AND also have videos on YouTube totaling millions and millions of views, and yet, somehow they slipped through the cracks for me until now.
A few interesting facts:
- "Dave 1" is David Macklovitch, who does the guitar, lead vocals, and dancing.
- "P-Thugg" is Patrick Gemayel, who does keys, synths, and talk-box.
- The two childhood friends JOKINGLY describe themselves as "the only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture." (I try to stay away from political commentary in this blog and on my fan page, because music should unite people of all opinions, so please don't jump on this comment as anything negative from my own point of view).
- Dave 1's brother is A-Trak (1997 world DMC champ). Dave also worked in a record store with world-renowned DJ/producer Tiga.
- Their song, "Don't Turn The Lights On" was featured in FIFA 11.
So yeah, I stand humbled. Check out this video for "Night By Night."
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNC0uAaCv0
Doesn't that video make you want to shoot a video in a warehouse with a Freightliner?
One of my profs from Berklee (Loudon Stearns) pointed out a great link for me about Chromeo:
Motherboard TV Link: http://motherboard.tv/2010/9/21/electric-independence-chromeo